Monday, August 11, 2008

Lanna Music

One of my favorite places in Chiang Mai is Lanna Music School - straight down the alley of Prapakklao Soi 8.

Across from one of the city's many shining temples, it is a small school where I can practice piano in seclusion for as long as I want.

This is Jeab, my piano instructor.  She is an excellent musician, teacher, and a very inspiring person.  She teaches me not only classical piano technique, but also Thai customs, the tonality of Thai language (including Chiang Mai dialect) and various lessons from her life's experience.  Jeab has definitely become one my best friends in Chiang Mai.  

Now we are working on Valse - a Chopin piece in B minor, with a transition to B major in the middle - focusing on the dynamics and phrasing, producing the best tone out of the acoustic instrument.  

Outside of Chiang Mai, Jeab has played music in Bangkok, Phuket, and Hong Kong.  She has performed music for the Thai royal family, and will play for the Queen in December.  


No comments: