Sunday, July 5, 2009

Op. 3 No. 2

I'm taking a short break from practicing Rachmaninoff's Op. 3. No. 2 at Lanna Music school. I am about three-quarters through the sheet music (which can be a headache to read, with all the accidentals). I love the contrast in dynamics and the rising tension to massive, crushing chords.

The music is extremely intense. I've been listening to interpretations by a Russian pianist and a Japanese woman pianist. Both have tremendous grace and power.

I'm still putting the finishing touches on Chopin's Nocturne in F Minor. The arpeggios towards the end are the most challenging part.

It's rainy season again, so it's been pouring rain in Chiang Mai. I went to the temple across from AUA to purchase some hot cappacino from my favorite Sunday Walking Street vendor, which warmed me up.

There are traffic jams on Huay Kaew and Nimmanhaemin, because a Buddhist holiday is approaching and many Thais from other provinces are coming to visit the Lanna Kingdom. So riding a motorbike is a headache.

I just finished reading Miles Davis' autiobiography "Miles" for the second time. I deeply admire his conviction, and respect his outlook on life and music, his dedication to constant artistic and creative evolution.

I started a new book by neurologist Oliver Sachs about the correlation between music and mental and psychological processes.

I'm teaching 2 Level 5 classes, 2 Level 8 classes, and a Level 12 class (the most advanced level I've taught yet) at AUA Chiang Mai. The students are very sharp and motivated.

(Photo: R. Zoey Setiawan)

2 comments:

Michelle Major said...

When I see you next time I would love to hear you play some of the music you have been spending so much time perfecting!

Zoey said...

Me too! :) :) :) I can't wait...