Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tae Kwon Do!


I've been practicing Tae Kwon Do 6 days a week...this ancient Korean martial arts form keeps me on my toes and mentally focused.  

At first they sent me to the ground to do push-ups because my kicking reflexes weren't fast enough.  I am still sii khao (white belt) but I feel like I am gradually improving every day.

In sparring tonight I got annihilated by a red belt (a woman at least 3X my size) but I beat a green belt in arm wrestling!

I am the only American in the class (the only foreigner to be exact) so I draw some attention, but everyone is very welcoming and respectful.

Last month they had me read the Tae Kwon Do precepts in front of the entire class in English, which was a real honor.

The class is taught entirely in Thai and Korean...so the best way to catch on is to watch the black belts...kinesthetic learning, by careful observation.

1 comment:

Michelle Major said...

Your mom sent us the link to your blog and I have enjoyed the pictures and updates! I'm amazed and impressed that you are taking a Tae Kwan Do class where they don't use any English! Hope you continue to have fun.