Friday, July 11, 2008

Yamaha


I am studying classical piano at the Yamaha Music Academy on Talad Mai.  
It is a respected school with excellent equipment.  They allow their students to practice any time.  

It seems that I am the only foreigner who studies music here.  The teachers speak enough English to get the message across.  They are very musically skilled and are good teachers.

I am so glad to have the opportunity to play music here.  I want to study seriously, and improve my skills and become a more versatile musician.  Piano was my first instrument, and I am really happy to rediscover it in Thailand.  

The Yamaha instructors had me sight-read a piece to get a feel for my level, and I was pretty happy with my sight-reading ability.  I worked out the piece slowly and carefully.  The teacher found a piece that was just the right level for me; a piece by Chopin...sorrowful and beautiful.  

My instructor introduced me to a younger student who is very advanced.  Instead of speaking to me he sat down to play a classical piece with amazing precision, feeling, and dynamics.  It was incredible and very inspiring.  

In my free time I go to Yamaha, enter a solitary room and practice piano.

No comments: